SPIN Play for iPad
SPIN Play for iPad
“The magazine you can listen to”
Conceived, designed and developed the ground-breaking iPad app for SPIN featuring an immersive reading experience alongside a free monthly streaming playlist of associated music and videos, curated by the SPIN editors.
Development partners: Bottle Rocket
Spin is a digital (and once print) publisher that prides themselves on “feeding the hunger for music and pop culture content.” Shortly after the iPad came out, publishers shifted from print to digital to the accommodate to the new medium. Spin was no different. However, through a series of discovery sessions and discussions, it was uncovered that the brand equity of Spin called for a deeper engagement than a PDF ported to a tablet.
The Spin brand is an outlet for fans to discover music. The Spin Play app was created by the merging of the best content from SPIN magazine with a steady feed of news and reviews delivered directly from Spin.com.
A completely different way to discover the best new music
A unique and seamless user experience was key to the app's success. Spin wanted the idea of music discovery at the forefront, letting users watch, read about and stream music picked by the editors at Spin. Spin Play combines song streams, video clips, daily music news and cutting-edge journalism into a fun, easy-to-use experience.
“Seldom are legacy publishers quite this adventurous”
- FastCompany: Six iPad Magazines that are Changing the Publishing Business
SPIN Play was featured in Apple’s iPad 2 television commercial, recommended by The New York Times, USA Today, Mashable and Gizmodo and recognized as 'App of the Year' by The Society of Publication Designers.
- Steady feed of news and reviews delivered directly from SPIN.com and SPIN magazine in an easy to digest and on-the-go format
- A Spin-curated playlist of 60+ streaming songs, available for instant download on the app or over AirTunes
- Ability to listen to artists while reading about them, engaging music lovers on a brand-new level
- Exclusive video performances with the featured artists
- Share discoveries with friends via Twitter, Facebook, and email
- Apple App Store Hall of Fame Winner
- Featured in Apple Media Event and TV Campaign
- #9 in News and Politics in the App Store
- ‘App of the Week,’ ‘iPad Essentials,’ ‘New & Noteworthy’ and ‘Our Favorites’
- Recommended by The New York Times, USA Today, Mashable and Gizmodo